Saturday, February 2, 2008

I do, or do not.....

So I had this real interesting couple on my gondola the other night......we had recieved notice previously that my boat would be a proposal boat, and there were flowers on the seats awaiting the happy couple. They showed up, him: In a suit and tie, hair appropriately combed and gel'ed up, and quite obviously nervous. She: wearing an old sweatshirt, tan pants, tennis shoes, hair strewn about, unaware, or perhaps surprised to the evenings festivities.

I put on my thick accent and greeted the couple warmly, trying not to "wink" at the guy or perhaps reach down and slap him on the butt while saying "Go get `em!" So we left the dock, and I decided to get the know these people a little better. In broken english they said they were from Hong Kong, here to relax and enjoy the weekend. Perhaps get engaged. They didnt say that, but I thought it, and other than that, they were not very talkative. She knew something was up, I know WHAT was up, and the guy wasnt sure where UP was, as he was so nervous, playing with the ring box in his pocket the whole time.

We were cruising into my third zone, me, happy as can be yelling bits and pieces of italian songs, pretending to be speaking something in Italian to other gondoliers as if it were something that I didnt want others who spoke english to understand. I glanced down at the "happy couple" and saw the guy was going for it. He pivoted to one knee stance and went for the ring.

Now mind you.....this is my FIRST proposal boat.....and all the while I'm thinking to myself what this is going to mean to someone else....a romantic setting...a happy couple....lives about to be changed....forever....all in front of me.......and I might get a tip!

Going for the ring, the man was suddenly stopped by his shocked girlfriend/almost fiancee` as she pushed his shoulders back into the seat. He took to his seat shocked and unaware as he looked into his girlfriends un-approving face. She shook here head sadly and spoke to him in Chinese. His eyes became glossed over, but he tried not to show it. He never cried, but his face ached with pain. Heart broken.....

We continued the ride, me with optimism for the guy, hoping that she wanted him to do it in the turn-around where their families where.....two rotations, and nothing.....perhaps while I was singing....I puffed up my chest and sang 6 songs....still nothing. Him now holding the flowers, her, hands in between her legs trying to look anywhere but at him.

We finally finished the ride, and as I came into the dock, I saw the faces of the other gondoliers. Caked with excitement and anticipation for the "new couple." This is where now, I am supposed to get the attention of all the shoppers in the mall and yell....."She said YES!!!!", but this time, no go. I gave my supervisor and my other gondolier co-workers a stern look and they suddenly knew what was up.

With one last attempt of hope for the guy I helped his lady out of the boat and held her hand in hopes he would propose on the dock. She pulled away and left without him. leaving her purse and flowers, which he kindly gathered, thanked me with sad eyes, and went after his lady.

They did not purchase their picture, no souveniers, nothing. they disappeared. Their lives DID change.....just not for the best....at least right then. Perhaps it was a good thing. Perhaps he will try again.....Who knows......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Magic Rob! What is up? Your mom gave me your blog address when I saw her a few weeks ago, and I just refound it on my night table. Sounds like your having a crazy little adventure. I'm jealous. I'm running to work, but I wanted to say "hi". I'll be back to catch up with you. In the mean time if you ever get a chance check out my blog and website at www.pneumaproject.org. Grace,
Darrin

Isis said...

That's so sad :( Poor guy, and poor you, that had to be really awkward. How are you otherwise? Call me!